Preserved rolling stock
Most of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Stock Fund's historic rolling stock is located at Goathland on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, which runs from Pickering to Grosmont in North Yorkshire.
Coach 1Elsecar Heritage Railway on Friday 1 February 2013.
No.1 is one of the 85 four-wheel carriages and luggage vans, supplied by three different builders for the start of passenger services in 1885. The carriage is from a batch of only three 3rd Class/Brakes and was constructed by the Ashbury Railway Carriage & Iron Co of Manchester.
In 1919 it was sold, together with five all 3rd Class carriages, for further use on the Neath & Brecon Railway. This Company together with all the other independent South Wales Railways were absorbed into the Great Western Railway with the railway grouping of 1 January 1923. Thus the mighty GWR acquired no less than thirteen ex H&BR four wheelers, the Cardiff and Rhymney railways also having acquired four and three examples respectively.
No.1 became GWR 4257 but was withdrawn in 1925 and its body sold off for use as a shed in the curiously named Monmouthshire village of The Narth.
Fast forward to 1986 and the carriage body is acquired by the National Museum of Wales as the last known surviving item of Neath & Brecon Railway rolling stock. It is initially moved to a Museum store in Penarth and in 1998 transferred to a new Collections Centre at Nantgarw, some eight miles northwest of Cardiff.
Following a review of its transport collection the National Museum of Wales decided that No.1, along with some other carriage bodies, was now surplus to requirements, which meant that after going through the de-accessioning process it was available for transfer to the Stock Fund.
This coach has been a star of several film and television productions, including 'South Riding', 'When the Boat comes in', 'Secret Garden', 'Carrington' and 'A Month in the Country'. However, its most famous role was in 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', starring Jeremy Brett. The carriage appears several times in the drama, but is centre stage for the scene in which Holmes and Watson step into the coach at Levisham station, only to step out onto the track at the other side.
It is a six-compartment brake third, built in 1907 by RY Pickering & Co. Originally number 2, it later carried the numbers 40, 5040, 25040, 23660, and DE320292.
The coach was in departmental use at York before being purchased by the H&BRSF in 1969.
A six-compartment corridor lavatory brake third, built by the Birmingham Carriage & Wagon Co in 1909. Originally number 5, it later became 58, 5058, 25058 and DE320362.
Coach 58 was bought from Springhead works in Hull by the H&BRSF in 1968.
Engineers' tool van 2
Four-wheel van No.2 was built by the Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Company in 1885, for use with the H&BR's breakdown train. It has also carried the numbers 8, 5008 and 901622.
The van was bought by the H&BRSF in 1974, at which time it was oldest vehicle still at work on British Rail.
The H&BRSF owns two wagons which were used for many years to carry coal from South Yorkshire to Hull docks. Imported timber and general cargo were carried on the return journey. The wagons were purchased by the H&BRSF from Tyne Commission Quay in Newcastle in 1969 and brought to the North York Moors Railway for use on works trains.
In 1999 their wooden superstructures were rebuilt, with the wheels and all the original ironwork were retained. Both wagons are now housed in the goods shed at Goathland, where they contain seating for the station cafe.
Open wagon 3697
This four-wheel wagon was built in 1905 by Charles Roberts & Co of Wakefield. It has been fully restored for diplay in Goathland goods shed, and now carries the H&BR's Continental route via Hull marketing slogan.
Open wagon 577
A four-wheel wagon built in 1886 by the Ashbury Railway Carriage & Wagon Co in Manchester.
This timber bogie is the last survivor of several hundred built for use in Hull's docks between 1870 and 1939. By the 1950s they were concentrated at Victoria Dock, the centre of the city's timber trade.
The bogies were designed to carry 7 tons of timber each, stacked on three cross-members and roped down to the hooks on either side. The iron-bound dumb buffers are not normal railway standard height or width. To assist in moving the bogies around around small shunting locomtives were fitted with additional dead buffers or deeper buffer beams. The London & North Eastern Railway later introduced road tractors fitted with steel buffer beams and chain links at either end.
The timber bogie is now on loan to the Streetlife transport museum in Hull, where it is on display.
Get in touch if you would like to join in with restoring these historic vehicles.